3.17.2009

Song of the Day: "Lady Pilot" by Neko Case


"Lady Pilot" - Neko Case

"Stars can't fight city lights,
They've turned their backs on us."

I've had this album ("Blacklisted") on my iPod for awhile now but just recently got around to listening to it and I fell in love with this song. Neko's heavy voice contrasts wonderfully with the airy guitar melody which for some reason reminds me of a female version of Sufjan Stevens mixed with a little folk music. Through that same airy guitar and wandering melody, she manages to make you hear what flying at night might sound like if set to music. For good reason too... here is Case on her inspiration for the song:
"I was getting on a plane going to Tuscon, Arizona, to do some recording. I was really happy, and I thought, 'My life is so good, this is gonna be the part when the plane crashes.' [laughs] I was feeling ultra-superstitious. And then I got on the plane, and the pilot was a woman, and she was wearing a skirt, she had red hair, and she was foxy. And I thought, 'Oh... cool... I've got a lady pilot. I'm not gonna die!' "
Well done if you ask me. Check this one out if you feel like relaxing.


No comments:

Post a Comment